Saturday, April 26, 2008

RBD!!!!



This Saturday night has been quite relaxing, despite the fact that winter has arrived in Santiago. A little too relaxing in fact. Three minutes ago, I was excessively bored and wishing D didn't have a test on Tuesday for which he has decided to stay up all night studying (he's Chilean, he's a lot of talk...I'm sure he'll come cozying up to me in bed in a few more hours). Then, I suddenly heard some music that sounded oddly familiar, and thought, "Sweet child of mine! Is that Rebelde? That totally inane yet addictive Mexican pop group?" It was and it is! See, I live in Nunoa, not too far from the Estadio Nacional, and Rebelde is here NOW and performing! Free show for me :) This proximity means, however, that I also have to listen to the futbol matches (I just get to hear screaming and chants, obviously), and of course Megadeath and whatever other major metal death loving group comes. I know you might be thinking, this gringa is wack, this totally contradicts her previous post, but don't give up on me yet.

Anyways, this moment put a huge smile across my face. See, Rebelde has a particularly special place in my heart. I started senior year at college desperately missing Latin America (where I'd spent the year abroad in Santiago, yup, where I am right now) and I found myself grabbing onto whatever bits of Spanish speaking culture I could find. So, partially because of this, last year during my senior year at Kenyon College, my roommate N and I became addicted to the catchy tunes and ridiculous drama that surrounds RBD (and the fact that we could sing along to it in either Spanish or Portuguese). Certain nights we would let our closest friends know, "hey were gonna do a video tonight, wanna come? Bring some dark beer" (we were on a dark beer kick then). So we'd set up our fan - you know, to make the music video look more genuine - get our digital camera rolling, hit play, and do a karaoke-sing-along-lip-sync wonder of a video. We even thought about doing one in front of a blue screen my friend had access to, though we never followed through (and it's damn shame we didn't, I think). These nights of pretending to be latina pop stars have by far become a highlight from that year for me.

Now, I don't love Rebelde to the point of going to a show (ahem. alone. I know no one here who would go with me) or paying the money to actually willingly participate in a mosh-pit of screaming girls, but hey, listening from the comfort of my bedroom is pretty great!

2 comments:

Mamacita Chilena said...

Dude, I LOVE Rebelde, just like I love Kudai and Juanes. I am a Latino pop addict. I might not have went to the concert with you, but I definitely would have stopped by your house for a free listen :)

Emita said...

really??? man, we gotta talk then, because I used to have a bunch of their music and i just discovered I have nothing!! Major problem. We can listen today when I pop by your place :)